There are many barriers to obtaining permanent employment for 50 + females.
- High productivity standards.
- Constant technological advancements.
- Employer Health insurance penalty of higher premiums
- Lack of certification/evidence of continuing education.
- Appearance of being middle-aged., gray hair, etc.
- Possess fewer cutting edge skills than younger counterparts.
- Ethnicity or racial background.
- Job offered is not the right fit.
Perhaps in your experience you have faced other issues. However, the middle-aged woman (if hired) is often the last hired-out of desperation-just to fill position.