But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 1 Timothy 6:6-10 NIV
These questions were asked by a gospel singer on a social media site yesterday: “What’s your heart’s desire for 2020? What have you been praying for this new year???” Many individuals expressed that they would like to have a closer relationship with God and to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Others sadly indicated that they are praying to get out of the massive debts they have accumulated.
When we are weighed down with burdens regardless of the source, our relationship with God suffers greatly. Remember that God cares about us, and He has promised to deliver us from the situations that we face when we pray for his Divine Intervention in our lives. We must possess knowledge of God’s promises to trust and believe in Him; Study the Bible like your life depends on it because it does.
- Pray for a personal change of all habits that indicate a lack of self-control.
- Pray for God to reveal what you need to do for your character to align with Christ’s character.
- Exercise your faith and give your burdens to God; He is aware of the turmoils in your life.
- Get rid of the extra stuff by donating to community churches–many have Community Services ministries that give based on need as opposed to selling for profit.
- Volunteer for ministries or departments in your church that focus on community outreach; you will gain a different perspective of life when you help those in need.
Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. 1 Peter 5:7 NLT
God hears our prayers; we do not have to beg or repeatedly ask for the same request again and again. We only have to patiently wait on Him to deliver us in His perfect timing.
Prayer for today: Dear God, We ask you to forgive us for our sins, and to show us what we need to do to possess a Christ-like character. We give you all of our burdens, and we ask this prayer in the Worthy Name of your Son, Jesus. Amen.
© Sonya Johnson Ruiz 2020
Frozen bubbles in a Canadian lake