Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. James 1:27
“You can’t go through life wearing catcher’s mitts on both hands; you have to throwback also.” Maya Angelou
How can I help? Before asking this question, we must be aware that this is an open-ended request to hear the answer and make a personal commitment to provide our intervention. Only a heart filled with genuine care and compassion would ask, “What can I do to alleviate your suffering or your burdens?”
When we accept God and the Plan of Salvation, we become Christian believers whose roles are pre-determined and defined by God. If anyone with earthly possessions sees his brother in need but withholds his compassion from him, how can the love of God abide in him? 1 John 3:17. God never asks more of us than is humanly possible.
1 Kings 17:7-24 tells us of the story of the Widow of Zarephath, who only had enough food for one last meal. By her faith and obedience, God provided a never-ending supply of food for her and her son. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices, God is pleased. Hebrews 13:16
What qualities are required to serve others?
1. Helping others encompasses giving of one’s time, talent, and financial resources.
2. Helping others requires a definitive mindset of selflessness, humility, and the ability to set boundaries.
3. Helping others stipulates that the receiver has no obligation to the giver.
4. Helping others requires a Vow of Silence. Whatever you are doing is between you, the person, and God.
So what are the benefits of giving to others? Our character becomes more like Christ.
1. Giving melts away a cold, stony heart, and in its place, genuine love grows.
2. Giving destroys selfishness and enables the fruit of the spirit to flourish.
3. Giving provides you with the inner joy that comes from improving someone else’s life.
Finally, giving of ourselves increases our faith in God and in humanity. Remember, someone else wishes that they were in your situation.
If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion-how can God’s love be in that person? 1 John 3:17
Prayer: Dear God, I am my brother’s keeper. Please remove all selfishness from our hearts, and may we have the desire to always assist those in need. We ask this prayer in Jesus’ name. Amen.
© Sonya Johnson Ruiz 2020