Joyful are people of integrity who follow the instructions of the Lord. They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in his paths. Psalm 119:1,3
Pursuing higher education involves conforming to a structured program that is developed and approved for individuals to acquire academic knowledge that will consequently change and enhance their lives. Our spiritual journey includes the acquisition of knowledge and wisdom, which can only be accomplished by a diligent and daily study of the Bible. When we fail to study the Word of God, we deny ourselves the privilege of knowing who the invisible God is and what He requires of us to change and achieve spiritual growth.
The Bible is the absolute truth and has instructions on every aspect of the spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical aspects of our lives. There are many false concepts and teachings that are influencing believers and unbelievers alike. We are not compelled to accept false teachings by false teachers. The Holy Spirit, our Teacher, is just a prayer away when we ask for the revelation of truth. Prevalent spiritual teachings that are intertwined with non-biblical myths include the status of angels, the creation of humanity, the state of the dead, and whether or not Jesus really lived, died, and is resurrected, now in heaven serving as our Intercessor. However, the Bible easily distinguishes the truth from pagan beliefs.
1. For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. Psalm 91:11. There are many testimonials from individuals who have survived near-fatal accidents in their daily walks of life. It is truly the unbelieving heart that does not acknowledge the protection that God has given to humanity. We are not alone on this earth, God has commanded the heavenly angels to protect us from all hurt, harm, and danger.
2. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus, our Lord. Romans 6:23. Death is the result of sin, and because of the Fall of Man, mortality will exist until Jesus comes again. The death that we experience in this life is the death of our physical bodies, but all is not lost because we have the hope that if we die as believers, then we will be resurrected again.
And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. By the word of the Lord, we declare to you that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord, Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise. 1 Thessalonians 4:13, 15-16
3. The living at least know they will die, but the dead know nothing. They have no further reward, nor are they remembered. Ecclesiastes 9:5. Spiritualism promotes the false belief that the living can communicate with the dead. Many individuals who are in a state of desperation strive to continue their lives with those who have died. When Jesus comes again, the Bible states… First, the believers who have died will rise from their graves. 1 Thessalonians 4:16, last part. The dead are not in heaven looking down on us or the wicked in hell looking up at us. Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. Ecclesiastes 12:7. “and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the breath returns to God who gave it. Ecclesiastes 12:7.
4. Satan continues to mesmerize the minds of those who do not study the Bible with lies of immortality upon death. In their fright, the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? Luke 24:5. Jesus lived on earth, died and was resurrected to life from the earthly tomb that He was buried in. His body did not ascend to heaven upon death nor was Jesus a ghost. Following His resurrection, He joined two of his followers as they walked to the village of Emmaus, and at the end of their journey, Jesus was invited to their home to have his first meal. After praying for the food, Luke 24:31 says, “Then their eyes were opened and they recognized Jesus—and He disappeared from their sight.” We must remember, Jesus has always been the Son of God and He never lost his Divinity or supernatural power because He agreed to die for us in human form.
5. Then the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground. He breathed the breath of life into the man’s nostrils, and the man became a living person. Genesis 2:7. Ghost-like spirits are a contrived lie by Satan and still remain a vital part of Spiritualism. When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost!” they said, and cried out in fear. Matthew 14:26. Even Jesus’ disciples assimilated the false pagan beliefs that ghosts existed, and, unfortunately, Satan is still using this diabolical concept to cause many to believe false teachings that are not in the Word of God. In Genesis 1, we are told in detail concerning everything that God created, and nowhere is it mentioned in the Bible that God created ghosts.
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 2 Timothy 4:3-4
We have an Advocate and a Teacher, the Holy Spirit, who will reveal the absolute truth when we pray for discernment and wisdom. Our faith will be tested in many ways, especially by false teachers and false doctrines. We can thank God that we do not have to learn the Bible as others interpret it. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
My testimony is that I was taught many false concepts in the earlier stages of my life. Even so, through God’s Divine intervention, I was rescued from false teachings, and God brought the truth of His Holy Word to me. I believe that Jesus was born, died, and was resurrected. I believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. I believe in Righteousness by Faith, and that Sanctification is a lifelong process. I believe in the Second Coming of Jesus and that I will be changed from this mortal body and given immortality. I believe that all sin, Satan, and his legion of angels, unbelievers, and death will be destroyed. I believe in the New Heaven and the New Earth, where I will live forever and ever. Amen!
The peace that I have from knowing that I am not alone and on my own to figure out the truth has me yearning for more and more of God’s Word. Ask God for discernment and wisdom as you study the Bible; you will experience a transformation as never before. “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.” Matthew 7:7
© Sonya Johnson Ruiz 2020