“But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15
Our Disbelief in God’s Word and the Spirit of Prophecy have led to Disobedience. Many of us feel comfortable living by our interpretation of God’s commands. When we add or take away from the truth that is revealed to us from the Bible, the Spirit of Prophecy, and the Holy Spirit, then we commit sin against God.
Two issues are permeating the homes of believing Christians:
- Unholy habits and worldly practices that exist among the children living at home.
- The lower-based passion for animal-based foods and foods that are filled with sugar, fats, and high calories, which contain little to no nutrients.
I have researched for scriptures from the Bible and readings from the Spirit of Prophecy that support the acceptance of worldly behaviors among minor and adult children who continue to reside in their parent’s house. The parents have turned a blind eye to God’s commands, and have justified that they are no longer spiritually responsible for their children. Yes, children of age will have to answer for their sins; however, all godly principles must be enforced in our homes to reflect righteous and holy living.
I recently listened to a Christian mother state that her adult son smokes cigarettes, and as long as he smokes outside of the house, then it is alright. God does not have separate categories for sin. If the adult child who resides in your home is not adhering to the Bible or the Spirit of Prophecy, it is not alright. Joshua stated, “But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Serving the Lord and adhering to God’s commands includes every member that resides in your household.
The secondary sin that we have readily embraced is the indulgence of appetite. The following excerpts are taken from Counsels on Diet and Food, and Counsels on Health, Ellen G. White.
- “The time will come when we may have to discard some of the articles of diet we now use, such as milk and cream and eggs…”
- “Cheese Unfit for Food…Cheese should never be introduced into the stomach.”
- “Flesh Meats, butter, cheese, rich pastry, spicy foods, and condiments are freely partaken of by both old and young. These things do their work and arranged in the stomach, exciting the nerves, and enfeebling the intellect. The blood-making organs cannot convert such things into good blood.”
- Cravings interfere with spiritual worship.
- Satan sees that he cannot have so great power over Minds when the appetite is kept under control as to when it is indulged, and he is constantly working to lead us to indulgence. Under the influence of unhealthful food, the conscience becomes stupefied, the mind is darkened, and its susceptibility to Impressions is impaired.
- There is a conflict between Truth and Self Indulgence.
- The effects of wrong habits lower the standard of physical health, enfeeble mental and moral strength. The indulgence of unnatural appetites and passions has a controlling influence upon the nerves of the brain. It is impossible for an intemperate man (or woman) to be a Christian, for its higher powers are brought into slavery to the passions. Testimonies for the Church 3:51 (1871)
- Life is a gift of God. Our bodies have been given us to use in God’s service, and he desires that we shall care for and appreciate them. A misuse of the body shortens that period of time, which God designs shall be used in his service. Ellen G. White
God desires for us to have a healthy body and a desire for real and faithful obedience. When we fail to adhere to His principles, we are no different from Cain, who refused to slaughter the lamb and offered his firstfruits instead.
And the dragon was wroth with the woman and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. Revelation 12:17
It is our commission to witness to those who do not know who Jesus is. We place ourselves outside of God’s will when our Disbelief leads to willful Disobedience.
We are the remnant who is living in the last days! We cannot afford to compromise and live outside of “Righteousness by Faith.” The signs are evident, Satan is working overtime to distract us, so we do not dutifully study our Health Message which was designed by God to prepare us for Eternal life. Yes, physical exercise is essential, but what we eat must reflect the original wholesome diet that God has blessed us with. The resources that we have should be utilized to produce strict obedience to our Creator.
Preparing for Eternal Life one day at a time. He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. Revelation 12:17
© Sonya Johnson Ruiz 2020