When they were safely out of the city, one of the angels ordered, “Run for your lives! And don’t look back or stop anywhere in the valley! Escape to the mountains, or you will be swept away! Genesis 19:17
Our lives provide a historical overview of our experiences, good or bad, and the responses to those situations. Whether we have embraced and enjoyed the good times, or created strategies and resolved severe issues, or maybe worsened our circumstances by poor decision-making or ignoring the problems, we have been shaped by those events and their outcomes.
It is the adversities that hit hard and leave us feeling like a deflated balloon. Hard times can leave us with weakened mindsets. But it is the trials and sorrows that reveal our limitations and direct us toward God, our Refuge. We can’t believe and know that God is our Jehovah Jireh when our goal is self-reliance. When God created us in His image, it was not his desire that we take on the burdens of life without His help.
So, if the answer is that easy, how do we end up feeling overwhelmed, fearful, and full of anxieties and worries?
If you begin a new job and the offer letter states your salary, you work without having real monies for at least 2-3 weeks. And why? Even though the employer is bound legally to provide compensation, you work without receiving pay because you have faith that the employer will come through on their promises. The employer-employee agreement extends beyond a binding legal contract. Both parties establish a relationship based on immediate faith and trust in each other.
And without faith, it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Hebrews 11:6
Some of the possible reasons for our lack of faith in God:
- We do know who God is. We acknowledge that He exists, yet we fail to establish and maintain a relationship with him.
- We believe in our expertise and abilities. Our past may indicate that we made it through adversity, and we will pull through again.
- We possess the sinful characteristics of pride, arrogance, impatience, and self-reliance. We lack an understanding of humility, nor do we know Christ’s character. “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 28:20
- We keep looking back, always reflecting on past hardships, and possess a great sense of hopelessness. We view our glass as half-empty. “Well, you don’t know what I have been through.”
- Perhaps we do not understand what faith is or we have trust issues. We hear and read of faith, trust, hope; but we do not know how to apply the spiritual principles to our lives.
Faith is a 100% belief in God! Faith says that I have presented this situation to God through prayer, and I believe and trust that He will resolve the challenges in my life, and I will patiently wait for Him to fulfill His promises.
When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior… Isaiah 43:2-3
Faith looks forward! Keep your mind focused on the here and now.
Faith does not believe in our limited abilities. Faith believes that God is taking care of every situation, great or small. Faith believes that only He can make the impossible possible.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.… Proverbs 3:5-6
Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD. Psalm 27:14
Bible Readings: Psalm 27, Proverbs 3
God, please give us the strength to endure the hardships in our lives. Although our faith is weak, we believe that you will help us to overcome when we trust in you. Thank you for hearing and answering our prayer that we ask in Jesus’ Name. Amen.
© Sonya Johnson Ruiz 2020, No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted for commercial purposes without the written permission of the author.