“I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. …” – Eph. 1: 18, 19, NIV
There is a gift that God has given to all of us: Prayer, which enables us to communicate with God 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Even so, many pray and remain burdened, depressed, and hopeless after praying. Let’s identify the root of the problem: When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. James 4:3. You may say, “But I am not asking for money,” perhaps not, but what is motivating you to pray? Is it your desire to receive the Victory and live as an Overcomer?
The Lords Prayer
9 After this manner, therefore, pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen. Matthew 6:9-13
Praying unleashes the Power of God upon our lives!
- Acknowledge God’s greatness: God, you are awesome, wonderful, loving, merciful, kind, etc. Thank God for His new mercies of another day. Openly express everything that you are thanking Him for (you should have a list of things).
- Extend the invitation: God, I place my life into your hands. My plans for today are_______________. I ask that your will be done in my life, anything I have committed to do that you cannot bless, please do not allow it to happen.
- Forgiveness: Acknowledge your sins and shortcomings and pray for His Divine intervention to overcome.
- Petition for Provisions: Pray to be filled with the Holy Spirit! Yes, our Father is aware of our physical needs; still, in humility, we ask Him to fulfill our spiritual needs first, then we ask for our necessities. Always thanking God in advance for what He will do, and then we faithfully wait.
- Strength against Temptations: Our temptations are custom-made according to our weaknesses. Our weaknesses are personal. Only you and God know the secret desires that prevent you from living a righteous life. Praying for spiritual discernment to recognize the traps of sin and wisdom are gifts that God freely gives to those who ask.
- Special Needs: Maybe you are disorganized, need to pass an exam, have a family-relational issue, or you cannot find your keys. God is our Heavenly Father, make your prayers up-close and personal.
- Ending: Thank God for the opportunity of Eternal life, praise Him for all that He has done, and all that He will do in your life.
The order or the exact content of our prayers should not be our primary focus. We must express praise and thanksgiving before we ask for anything else. God desires that we have joy. A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22. Now that you have given your burdens to God and have the inner joy that comes from gratitude and faith, you can pray an Intercessory prayer for others, and the condition of our world, etc.
Prayer is often misunderstood. We do not have to pray formal, lengthy prayers to reach out to God. There are times when our spirits are so grieved that all we can say is, “God, please help me.” 16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive Him because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides with you and will be in you.…John 14:16
He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds. Psalm 147:3
God is love, and He desires that we possess joy, peace, and happiness. As Believers, we commit to love the Lord our God with all of our hearts. Why should we have burdens, feel abandoned, and depressed? Begin your day with thankfulness; rejoice, and praise the Creator of humanity who gave His only Son, Jesus Christ, to redeem us from sin and the final death.
Our present situation is not all there is to life! God has promised a better life: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Prayer is a mood stabilizer. Begin to say little prayers of thanksgiving throughout the day: Thank you, God. Smile more. And eliminate all negative words. Develop your faith in God through patience. Our glass is not half-full or half-empty. With God, our glass is always full because of His wonderful blessings. Change your perspective, and you will have the Victory!
Bible Reading: Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. 2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.
3 I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, God’s home is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.” Revelation 21:1-4
God, we thank you for a new day. We thank you for being our Heavenly Father. We ask forgiveness of our sins and shortcomings. We commit our lives and place them in your hands. Please fill us with your Holy Spirit, and give us wisdom and spiritual discernment that we may recognize your love, your goodness, and your power. Thank you for your promise of a New Heaven and New Earth. We ask this prayer in the Worthy Name of Jesus. Amen.
© Sonya Johnson Ruiz 2020, No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted for commercial purposes without the written permission of the author.