And Elijah the Tishbite, of the inhabitants of Gilead, said to Ahab, “As the Lord God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, except at my word.” 1 Kings 17:1
When I read the story of the prophet Elijah praying for rain to stop for three years, I asked myself, “Who was this man of exceeding faith, and how can I become faithful like he was?”
Elijah was as human as we are, and yet when he prayed earnestly that no rain would fall, none fell for three and a half years! Then, when he prayed again, the sky sent down rain, and the earth began to yield its crops. James 5:17-18
So let’s go to the scriptures to see what God has to say about us having the capability to have Elijah’s solid and unwavering faith.
- Our faith pleases God: And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him. Hebrews 11:6
- Stay in the will of God: Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what the will of God is, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
- Ask and receive: “And in that day you will ask Me nothing. Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you.” John 16:23
- Get rid of a disorganized lifestyle: Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! Psalm 46:10
- Patiently wait for God’s answer: Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD. Psalm 27:14
- Obey His commands: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?” Luke 6:46
Having faith over fear remains a challenge for most believers. The disciples who were in constant physical contact with Jesus, the Son of God also struggled with their faith. We have our own agendas and plans which are contrary to God’s plans, which prevents total faith and trust in God.
But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. Matthew 8:26
- Fear prevents us from having solid and unrelenting faith in God: For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
- God is Omnipotent: Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard for me? Jeremiah 32:27
- Pray often, but do not fixate on yourself: Pray in the Spirit at all times, with every kind of prayer and petition. To this end, stay alert with all perseverance in your prayers for all the saints. Ephesians 6:18
- God knows, and He cares: Even before they call, I will answer, and while they are still speaking, I will hear. Isaiah 65:24
Bible Study: 1 Kings 17 and James 5
Prayer: God, we are weary because our faith is weak. We are ready to have rock-solid faith like Elijah. Please teach us to take one day at a time in our spiritual growth. We desire to live faith-based lives by trusting you with all of our hearts. We ask this prayer in the Worthy name of Jesus. Amen.
© Sonya Johnson Ruiz 2021, No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted for commercial purposes without the author’s written permission.