- Last night, I watched a believer defend his right to tattoo his body. He stated, ” You are looking at the outside of my body, but God knows my heart.”
God’s answer: “The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?” Jeremiah 17:9
Documented history: The ancient Greeks and Romans used tattooing to penalize slaves, criminals, and prisoners of war. While decorative tattooing was looked down upon, pagan religious tattooing was accepted and practiced in Egypt and Syria.
God’s answer: Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
2. Recently, I looked through my google photos, and found some uploaded pics from the 1980s where the sides and back of my head was buzz cropped–shaved. It was fashionable back then and now head shaving for women is readily accepted. What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9
God’s answer: But if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 1 Corinthians 11:15
3. The many breathtaking circular designs that skilled barbers design in your head are also pagan practices signifying worship of other gods.
God’s answer: In Leviticus chapter 19, God gave instructions on not conforming to pagan hairstyles which signified worship of other deities–pagan gods or goddesses.
4. Assimilation: the process of taking in and fully understanding information or ideas. We have readily adapted to many worldly practices, and most of us do not have a complete understanding of their historical meaning. Believers, why do we have a dislike for studying the Bible?
God’s answer: My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you from being priest for Me; Because you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children. Hosea 4:6
5. We have downgraded the holy standards of God because we do not desire to fully commit ourselves to God. The Bible [Old and New Testaments] reveal God’s righteousness. Fact: Many believers do not believe in the Old Testament. I can assure you that if we studied the first five books of the Bible (Genesis-Deuteronomy), we would view God with a greater level of reverence and honor.
God’s answer: God is not a man, that He should lie, or a son of man, that He should change His mind. Does He speak and not act? Does He promise and not fulfill? Isaiah 55:11
For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. 1 John 2:16
My personal decision is to surrender and follow Jesus until my last breath. I have not lived a naive life. During my rebellious period, I explored all that the world has to offer. It is my desire to have eternal life by giving up habits, people, places, and things. Whatever God requires me to do, I will do it.
Jesus said: “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.” John 10:27-30
Jesus always faced controversy and death-threats for speaking the truth: Once again the people picked up stones to kill him. John 10:31; They got up, drove him out of town, and brought him to the edge of the hill that their town was built on, intending to hurl him over the cliff. Luke 4:29. Never once did our Lord and Savior give in to the majority opinion nor was He swayed to accept the temptations of this world.
Certainly, we have a choice to faithfully follow God’s standards of righteousness or to follow our own desires and attempt to incorporate them as a New Age Christianity.
God’s answer: He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. Revelation 22:11
Bible Study: John 10
Prayer: God, we ask for forgiveness for blending our unrighteousness with your holiness. It is our desire to love and serve you with our hearts, souls, and minds. Please teach us to live holy and acceptable lives that are pleasing to you. Thank you for the gift of your Son, Jesus that we may have eternal life. We ask this prayer in the Worthy name of Jesus. Amen.
© Sonya Johnson Ruiz 2021, No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted for commercial purposes without the author’s written permission.