Life is full of learning opportunities, but it also has many risks. Whether good or bad, most often we learn from experience. Truthfully, my preferences are to take the challenges to God and wait for guidance. Even so, God also provides us with the opportunities to learn from other individuals who have “been there, done that” and will share how to avoid a negative outcome–consequences.
When the GPS directional system first became popular, my mom was in the hospital. Her Pastor and I were in the visitor’s lobby chatting about different things. And then, we started talking about the benefits of the GPS-Navigation, which provided the ease of putting in an address and simply following the directions versus maps. We laughed as we spoke about the wonders of human innovation and embracing progress.
But then the conversation changed regarding the downside–yes, the cons of using a GPS. The system operates and is dependent on satellites–Satellite Navigation is based on a global network of satellites that transmit radio signals in medium-earth orbit. faa.gov. Pastor G. then proceeded to warn me against total dependency on the step-by-step directions, especially to a place you are traveling to for the first time. Your endpoint destination may differ from your desired destination, and inclement weather may interfere with or render the GPS useless. His last words, “God has given us a sound mind and common sense, technology cannot replace our ability to adapt to any given situation.”
In February, when traveling from Texas to Florida for relocation, I remembered and embraced the wise advice from Pastor G. The journey was 1400 miles in uncharted territory. I used Google Maps to plug in five destination points for my four-day journey and printed out several pages of directions. Several times during my trip, thunderstorms and heavy rain rendered my GPS Navigation useless.
We face a life-long journey of unexpected challenges and dangers during our time on earth. Truthfully, humanity has a rough and rugged path to travel on from the day of our birth. “I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take courage; I have overcome the world!” John 16:33 BSB. Even so, isn’t this the reason that we serve God?
Surrender and commitment to God, the Father, Jesus Christ, His Son, and the Holy Spirit is a requisite of serving God. He has positioned us in the 21st century [we are living in the last days] and provided us with the instructions and knowledge to tell others of Jesus. Through the power of our spiritual team along with faith, trust, and obedience, we can live a victorious life, and reach our final destination. And all of the instructions and spiritual road maps are neatly packaged in God’s Positioning and Protection System.
For us to be under God’s GPS, we must accept these doctrines:
Jesus Christ is the only one way to God. [Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6]. Fact: Every religion with the exception of Christianity negates Jesus as the only Way to Salvation.
Love: “‘Jesus declared, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.’ And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Matthew 22:37-39
Faith: God has given each of us a measure of faith. Faith is action, we must believe without doubts.
And without faith [believing that God will always fulfill His promises] it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Hebrews 11:6
Prayer and Bible Study: Connects us to God and gives us the power to overcome.
The Bible-our roadmap to live righteously and have victorious outcomes.
Prayer-“Prayer is the opening of the heart to God as to a friend.” Ellen G. White
Human Effort + Divine Intervention = A Victorious Outcome and the Reward of Eternal Life
- Human Effort: Maintaining our relationship with Jesus is the only way to be an overcomer. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” John 15:5
- Human Effort: Prayer is our life-line. Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17]
- Human Effort: Diligently study the Bible. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- Human Effort: We need wisdom. Having knowledge is not enough. Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5
- Human Effort: Total obedience is required. There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12
- Human Effort: Pray for the Holy Spirit. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. John 14:26
- Human Effort: The Great Commission. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you…Matthew 28:19-20, first part
- Divine Intervention: We are never alone! And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:20, last part
- Divine Intervention: God-given instructions on how to overcome the temptations from Satan. Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. Matthew 26:41
- Divine Intervention: God promises that He would always take care of us by fighting our battles. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.
- Divine Intervention: Our sorrows, trials, and hardships will not overtake us. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. Isaiah 43:2
Truth: For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12
There is a trending fear expressed by many individuals on TikTok: Evil spirits can invade us [as in demon possession], our families, and our homes, although we are doing our best to serve God. Yes, we can expect attacks from the evil one. Satan enjoys placing fear, discouragement, doubt, and unbelief in our minds with many false beliefs and teachings. Do not believe the lies that the fallen angel is more powerful than the team of humanity and divinity! Hallelujah!
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
Satan and his evil angels are present on this earth. But in the next verse God gives us detailed instructions on what we need to do:
Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—Ephesians 6:14-19
Divine Intervention: For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways. In their hands they shall bear you up [hold you up], Lest you dash your foot against a stone [so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone]. Psalm 91:11-12
Everyday, our angels are protecting us from the evil ones [spiritual warfare]. If Satan had unleashed power, he would have killed Job [read Job chapter 1] and every present believer in the Omnipotent and Omniscient God would be dead. Do not fear! God loves us, and He has us. Even in our darkest storms, God will never let Satan beat us down. We are always protected by our Heavenly Father!
God’s Spiritual Positioning and Protection System works 24/7, especially during our storms. Let God direct you in every aspect of your life. Jesus loves us, died, and was resurrected for humanity. Stay under the protection of the Trinity Godhead. Do not look to the left or to the right. Keep your spiritual eyes focused on Jesus. Despite the last-day events and hardships we face, God’s directions are leading us home. Then the angel showed me a river with the water of life, clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb. Revelation 22:1
Bible reading: Psalm 91, a song of protection
Prayer: God, we thank you for placing us under the safety of your GPS. We desire to receive our reward of eternal life. God, please give us strength to continue our journey. We ask to be filled with the Holy Spirit to give us understanding, and wisdom as we study the scriptures. Thank you for loving us and the gifts of grace and mercies of a new day. In Jesus’ Worthy name, we pray. Amen. © 2021 Sonya Johnson