For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV)
Most of us are familiar with this verse. Even so, other translations lead many to believe this scripture is a promise of financial prosperity. Jesus, the Son of God lived in poverty when He left his parent’s home to begin His ministry. “And Jesus said to him, ‘Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.'” Luke 9:58.
When we focus on accumulating material possessions, God can’t be our number one priority. For you must not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. Exodus 34:14. How is this possible? Certainly, we would not intentionally place anything before the Most-High God. But, sadly, we have become our own idols. Worshipping ourselves with more and more material possessions, we strive to fulfill our desires and proudly tell ourselves that “God is raining down blessings.”
Steps to “Finish [God’s] plan for your life
- Pray and ask God to reveal your spiritual gifts and His plans for your life.
- Evaluate your responsibilities, commitments, and other lifestyle activities. Eliminate the people, places, and things that prevent “God first.”
- Make a plan to free yourself from debt. We have to say, Enough is Enough.
- Put God first by planned worship at least twice a day. Building a deep relationship with Jesus Christ is a necessity to stay connected in these last days.
- Diligent study of the Bible and constant communication through prayer builds unwavering faith and trust in God.
The decision to finish the plans is not pursuing an academic degree or climbing the career ladder. When we put God first, He will ensure that we reach our highest spiritual and intellectual development level. Using our talents and spiritual gifts, we can use social media to tell others that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. I began witnessing on my FB and Instagram pages, posting encouraging scriptures. With a willing heart, God honors our faith, trust, and obedience.
Remember that we have enlisted in the Army of God. We are commandment-keeping disciples, followers of Jesus Christ, which requires that we give up our mindset. Let God lead you, and you will live your best life.
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8-9
Prayer: God, we are ready to finish the plans that you have for us. Please reveal the direction in which we should travel to fulfill your Divine purpose. In Jesus’ name. Amen. © 2021 Sonya Johnson, Faithful Fishers Ministry